Shop Prime Day Kindle deals:
- Amazon Kindle deals
- Best Buy Kindle deals
If you’re searching for the best Kindle of 2023 in anticipation of the Amazon Prime Big Deal Days next week, you’re spoiled for choice. Amazon now makes a Kindle for every type of reader (including the cute yet highly functional Kindle Kids edition).
- Get the Google Nest cam at its lowest-ever price on Prime Day
- Score an exclusive 60% off on the Amazon Fire TV 50-inch Omni Series with this invite-only deal
- Apple Vision Pro: These 2 flaws are reportedly plaguing it behind the scenes
- Amazon Alexa can tell you about Prime Day deals before they go live
- Save up to 66% on an Echo Show ahead of Prime Day
If you haven’t yet been converted to the lovely world of Amazon Kindle readers, we have to ask, frankly: What the heck are you waiting for? Given the fact that, during the first iteration of Prime Day earlier this summer, every single Kindle went on sale, we have a hunch that something similar will happen on Oct. 10 and 11 — making this the prime time (get it?) to finally commit to buying an e-reader. A Prime Day Kindle beats a regular Kindle any day, after all.
We know, we know — nothing compares to the feel of a book in your hands as you thumb through page after enticing page. Even if you’re a ride-or-die bibliophile with a book collection to match (guilty), the best Kindles have undeniable benefits for readers. You no longer have to pack 10 different books when going on vacation because you never know which book will suit your mood at any given time. You can also read poolside or at the beach without worrying about damaging your precious books.
As of 2023, Amazon makes seven different Kindles with various features and use cases. The best Kindles include a new generation of Amazon e-readers released in 2022 as well as some older models still worth buying. We’ve gathered all of them for you below along with highlights from our Kindle reviews, so read on to find the best Kindle for your reading pleasure. This way, when the time comes next week for all of these models to (hopefully) go on sale, you won’t feel overwhelmed.
What should I look for in the best Kindles?
When shopping for the best Kindle to fit your lifestyle, consider the following factors that are most likely to vary between models:
- Display size. The smallest Kindle has a 6-inch display while the largest has a 10.2-inch display.
- Storage capacity. Depending on the model, Kindles can have anywhere from 8 GB to 64 GB of storage capacity to stash many thousands of your favorite reads at a time.
- Battery life. Kindles generally have outstanding battery life (depending on your usage), but some models are even more impressive. On the low end, they last up to six weeks per charge, while others last up to 12 weeks.
- Waterproof protection. Not all Kindles are waterproof, but those that are provide peace of mind in case of accidental immersion in water without incurring damage.
Beyond those variable factors, all the latest Kindles boast a 300 ppi, high-resolution display with zero glare so you can enjoy sharp text and images at any viewing angle. All Kindles are also equipped with WiFi connectivity to allow you to access and download all the reading material you could ever want. (However, select Kindle readers also allow for free cellular connectivity so you have more options.) All Kindles offer parental control options as well, whether or not you’ve purchased a Kindle device specifically made for kids. Plus, you can listen to audiobooks on Audible via any Kindle’s built-in Bluetooth connection.
What features do Kindles offer?
Beyond the aforementioned standard features that are found across most (if not all) of the latest Kindle models, there are also specialized features that you’ll find on the higher-end models. To narrow down the best Kindles for your lifestyle, you’ll want to consider your particular needs and preferences as you shop.
Perhaps you like to read outside often; you’ll want a Kindle with an auto-adjusting light so you don’t have to worry about constantly fixing the brightness for optimal viewing in your current environment. The Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition, and Kindle Scribe all have this auto-adjustment feature. Or, perhaps you tend to read during your daily commute and can’t rely on more than one hand being free to hold your reading material; you’ll want a Kindle with easy page-turn buttons so you can get to the next page one-handed, and automatic rotating page orientation so you can seamlessly switch from one hand to the other — the Kindle Oasis.
Or, maybe you like to read before bed and want to cut out blue light that tends to keep us awake and alert; you’ll need a Kindle that has an adjustable warm light feature so you can shift the display color from white to amber. After the 2022 release of the Kindle Scribe, there’s even a Kindle that will allow you to jot down notes on your texts for later reference.