The thought of having twins can elicit mixed emotions among people. Some couples eagerly embrace the opportunity to parent twin babies, while others may feel differently. However, if you have always dreamed of having twins during pregnancy, there are a few things you can do to increase your chances naturally. In this article, we will explore various factors that can influence the release of multiple eggs during ovulation and potentially lead to a twin pregnancy.
Understanding the Types of Twins
Before we dive into the ways to increase your chances of having twins, let’s first understand the two types of twins that can occur:
Fraternal twins occur when multiple eggs are released and fertilized separately, resulting in two distinct embryos.
Identical twins, on the other hand, develop when a single fertilized egg splits into two during the early stages of pregnancy, leading to two genetically identical embryos.
The Role of Genetics in Twin Conception
Genetics play a significant role in the likelihood of conceiving twins. Here are some factors to consider:
- Heredity: If there is a history of twins in your family or if you are a twin yourself, your chances of conceiving twins are higher. This genetic predisposition primarily applies to females, as their genes can greatly influence the chances of hyper-ovulation.
- Ethnicity: Statistically, African females have a higher likelihood of having twins, while Asian women generally have a lower chance of twin pregnancies.
- Luck and Genetic Factors: While identical twins can happen to anyone, fraternal twins often run in the female’s genetics. Hyperovulation, which involves the release of multiple eggs, is considered to have a genetic component.
- Age: Older females have a higher chance of conceiving twins. After the age of 30, the body experiences a fertility spike due to an increase in estrogen levels. Additionally, after the age of 35, the body produces more follicle-stimulating hormones, leading to the release of more than one egg during ovulation and increasing the chances of having twins.
- Height and BMI: Taller females and those with a higher BMI also have an increased chance of having a twin pregnancy. However, it’s important to note that having a BMI over 30 puts you in the obese category, which is not a healthy option.
Factors That Can Boost Your Chances of Having Twins
Now that we have discussed the genetic factors, let’s explore some natural ways to increase your chances of conceiving twins:
- Folate: Increasing your folate intake has been associated with a 40% increase in twin pregnancies, particularly among females who have undergone IVF treatments. Consuming foods rich in folic acid, such as tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, strawberries, egg yolk, sunflower seeds, broccoli, honeydew melon, asparagus, and liver, can help elevate your Vitamin B9 levels.
- Hyperovulation-Stimulating Foods: Certain foods can naturally increase the rate of ovulation and stimulate the ovaries to release multiple eggs. Examples include cassava (an African wild yam or sweet potato), tofu, soy isoflavones, whole grains, and whole wheat. For the male partner, consuming oysters, known for their high zinc content, can help increase sperm production and improve mobility.
- Gaining Weight: Females with a higher BMI have a greater likelihood of having twins. However, it’s crucial to maintain a healthy weight and consult your doctor if you are pregnant and overweight.
- Dairy: Increasing your intake of dairy and calorie-rich foods may positively impact your chances of having twins. According to a study conducted by Dr. Gary Steinman, females who consume more dairy are five times more likely to have a twin pregnancy. On the contrary, studies have shown that vegans have a lower likelihood of conceiving twins.
- Take a Gap Before Conception: Experts recommend taking a gap between pregnancies rather than rushing to conceive shortly after having a baby. This gap can increase your chances of having twins.
- Consider Birth Control Pills: The fluctuation in hormones after discontinuing birth control pills can increase the chances of releasing multiple eggs and conceiving twins.
- Having More Children: The more children a female has, the higher the chances of naturally conceiving twins. However, it’s essential not to have multiple babies solely to increase the likelihood of twins. Consult with your doctor who can provide alternative suggestions.
- Continue Breastfeeding: During breastfeeding, the female body produces a higher percentage of prolactin, which can increase the chances of having twins.
Remember, there is no guarantee that you will conceive twins. The suggestions provided above are merely ways to potentially increase the likelihood. For better outcomes, it’s important to consult with your doctor for personalized advice on how to have a pregnancy with twins.
Consult a doctor online right away by clicking here!